Monday, December 8, 2008

The Big One

There's been a death in the family. That's the reason I haven't been posting. I've missed my imaginary audience...or dare I hope there are a few of you out there? LOL (sound of crickets).

I'm still in mourning but I hope to back here soon, baking and posting again. It may take a little while because I'm competing for the time and attention now.

It was my three-year-old laptop that died. Yep. Bit the Big One. Took a dump. Sold the farm. Moved to the Big Bakery in The Sky. (I can't begin to compete with John Cleese et al on this topic, so I don't even intend to try.)

The Geek Squad at Best Buy gave me the terminal prognosis over the weekend, and I've been in shock ever since. My laptop is my life. I am one with my laptop. I spend several hours a day on that thing, and it betrays me like this! Where's the gratitude, man?

I am now forced to the humiliating situation of competing with my kids for the one and only desktop computer in the house. The one that is more familiar with Literati (my husband) and World of Warcraft (sons). I may play the Mom card to get comp. time: I'm the one who bought it, dammit--I should be able to use it occasionally!

Truth to tell, I am lost without my little lapful of technology. I don't mean to say an updated, newer computer wouldn't be nice--but I want my old familiar, comfy one back. The one that holds all my secrets, my bookmarks, my StumbleUpons, my files--MY FREAKING JOURNAL ENTRIES!! That's what I'm most pissed off about: I don't want to lose those journal entries!! My techno-freak stepson has reassured me that I might be able to coax enough life back into the old girl to transfer that stuff onto a flash drive, if I can work at lightning speed before it conks out again, perhaps for the final time. Now all I have to do is locate my flashdrive.

This could take a while.

No comments: