Monday, January 19, 2009

Ozzie and Harriet, Guinness, and Me

I'll come right out with it:

I hate beer.

But before you tag me as a crazy Mid-Western Suffragette,
let me add this:

I do drink.

Alcohol.

On many occasions.

I have never, however, developed a taste for beer. If you have read my profile in the right margin, you know that I grew up in The All-American household.
On lazy Sunday afternoons, my dad would usually be found in a lawn chair, next to the ubiquitous red Weber kettle grill with a Budweiser in his hand.

I would always beg for just a sip, even though I disliked it.

Who knows why? Maybe because Bud was a part of that mysterious place called Adulthood.

As an important P.S., let me add that those were the only times I saw my dad drink alcohol.
There was usually some mixed drink in his hand, the same drink nursed throughout New Year's Eve celebration. One drink for the entire night.

The man was not a drinker.

But he always said that to grill a chicken well, you had to have a beer in your hand.
?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S.S. My mother's idea of a high time was to drink wine highballs on New Year's Eve.

All two of them.

(I jest, but I'm thankful I didn't grow up with demonstrations of excess in any vice.)

That was a folksy way, I hope, to drive home the point that I do not enjoy beer.

It also explains why I had to make a special trip to the market to buy beer, and not just any beer, but one that has been described more than once as an acquired taste:

Guinness.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any singles. This recipe requires only one Guinness, either bottle or can.

It was worth it. This recipe is sublime.

And if anyone has any idea what I can do with the remaining 5 bottles of Guinness,
let me know.




Beef and Guinness Casserole
(from The Antics of A Cycling Cook)


Ingredients:

2 pounds stewing beef, chopped into bite-sized pieces
6 onions, roughly chopped*
4-5 carrots, roughly chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
Herbs of your choice**
2 teasp. Dijon mustard
1 can Guinness
1 cube beef stock
salt and pepper

Method:

Preheat oven on low heat. Heat some oil in a large oven-proof pan. (I used my bigass frying pan, then transferred the food to a roasting pan before sticking it in the oven.) Brown the meat on all sides. Add all the vegetables to the pan and cook for several minutes until tender. Add everything else to the pan and season to your taste with salt and pepper. Mix well, add lid (or transfer to oven-safe pan and cover) and let the magic happen, low and slow (two or more hours).

Serve with good bread for getting every drop of that wonderful gravy!






*That's right-6 onions. I used 4 large yellow ones and wished I had not second-guessed the recipe and gone with all 6.

**I went with a teasp. and a half of Herbes de Provence--Delicious!



No comments: