Thursday, October 22, 2009

Butterscotch Or Scutterbotch?


I grew up with a mom that wasn't exactly a laugh a minute.

Don't get me wrong--I love my mom bunches, but her sense of humor
was what I might describe as quiet.

She did, however, love playing with words.
Like saying 'absotively' and 'posilutely' (I won't insult you by translating).

So the day I heard her call those light brown chips 'scutterbotch', I
adopted it as my own. And to this day, my fascination with words grows.

So for my mom, who at 82 years old and still the best cook I know,
I give you...









...Scrumptious Oatmeal Scutterbotch Cookies
(adapted from a recipe from Vintage Victuals)


Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter (I used regular), softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

2 eggs, large is best
1 1/2 teaspoons best vanilla
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups regular oatmeal (not quick-cooking)
1 12-oz package of butterscotch chips

Method:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, incorporating well. Beat in vanilla.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal. Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in butterscotch chips.

Use a large ice cream scoop (or heaping tablespoonsful) leveled off to drop the
cookie dough onto the cookie sheets. These will spread while baking.

Bake for about 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. C
ool for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.



No comments: