Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Of All The Things That I Have Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most



Has this ever happened to you? You choose a recipe to make and
post about, you cook/bake the recipe, get ready to write about this
amazing thing you re-created (because, let's be honest here,
you followed someone else's creation, albeit with
modifications) and then, you can't find the damn recipe.

Please, someone, tell me that this has happened
to you, too, so I don't feel like such a dolt.

Truly, I had discovered the most brilliant
recipe for Potato-Broccoli Soup--
I made it, with some slight alterations
(see? I'm getting braver).
I would have posted it earlier, before the recipe
went missing, but I forgot to take a picture of
the soup, too.
The next day, I thought I'd take the pic after work,
so I raced home and ripped open the fridge, intending to use
whatever leftover soup I could scrounge into a
decorative bowl, when I spied the empty container
on the counter.

My husband ate it for lunch.

I guess this is a long-winded and laborious way of
saying that I have no post for that luscious soup.
I hope the recipe resurfaces soon so I can make it
again (if I can recall the changes I made!) and
photograph the damned stuff!

In the meantime, I offer this recipe, also with no picture.
I found it in Taste of Home several years ago, and it's been
a good, reliable quick dinner ever since.

Simple, no weird ingredients, and it goes together
quickly.


Salisbury Steak***

Ingredients:

1# ground beef
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup saltine crumbs
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper



Method:

In a bowl, combine the beef, egg white, onion, crumbs, milk, horseradish, salt and pepper.
Shape into four oval patties. Fry in a skillet over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, turning once. Remove patties and keep warm. Add
gravy, mushrooms, and water to skillet. Heat for 3-5 minutes. Serve over patties and noodles or rice if desired.



***First, I'd like to address the name of the recipe. Clearly this is not steak, Salisbury or otherwise. I'm fairly sure that no one on Salisbury Plain makes this, and even if they did, the British know the difference between ground beef shaped into patties (a shape which no self-respecting steak would find itself) and true steak.

Secondly, I have doubled this recipe with good success, and I also up the amount of horseradish to add more of a kick. I've sometimes used Healthy Choices fat-free beef gravy to cut the cals.

1 comment:

Half Baked said...

Haha too funny and yes all the above has happened to me too! So frustrating when you're all set to share an awesome recipe:)