Friday, April 10, 2009

Found It! Still Don't Have A Picture of It, Though!




Here is the elusive potato soup recipe that I mentioned in
my last post. As I was trying manfully to clear my desk
of the debris from the tornado (or maybe it just looked like
a tornado had swept through my bedroom) I finally unearthed
the copy I'd printed out from my Google Reader.
I'd love to give the originator credit for it,
if only I could remember whose site I found it on.
If it sounds familiar, let me know. I'd be glad to
print and credit the cook--and congratulate her/him.
It's a great soup!



Chunky Potato Cheddar Soup with Bacon
and Broccoli

Ingredients:

3 medium red potatoes
1 small onion
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
crushed red pepper flakes
ground black pepper flakes
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked cubed Canadian bacon or ham or bacon, or meat of your choice
1 cup broccoli florets, chopped small

Method:

Put medium sauce pot of water on to boil. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Cook potatoes in salted boiling water just until they are beginning to get tender. Scoop out 1 cup of the potato cooking water and set aside. Drain potatoes. Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter in medium to large soup pot and add the onions, stirring frequently until they are tender and translucent. Add flour, red pepper flakes, and black pepper to onions and cook for a minute or two into a thick, pasty mixture. Add reserved 1 cup potato-cooking water and stir. Add milk, potatoes, and sugar to the pot, stirring well. Add cheese and ham. Add broccoli. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not boil. Stir frequently and scrape bottom often. (that makes me giggle, dunno why).
Taste and adjust for seasonings. Serve with good homemade bread.


Okay, as near as I can remember, I used this as a starting point. First, I used about nine potatoes, left skins on, increased the amount of onion, doubled the
amount of milk to 6 cups (also threw in some leftover heavy cream-be still, my screaming arteries), omitted the meat, used frozen broccoli and doubled the amount. I put it all in my crockpot and left it on low for two, two and a half hours. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written. (joke)

This lovely stuff tastes even better the second day.

1 comment:

Denise Clarke said...

OMG ... this soup sounds rich and wonderful! I can hardly wait for a cold day to try it out!

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com